Thursday 8 October 2015

Photography-shutter speed and aperture

I was taking photos this morning with different shut speeds and apertures and I found I can understand them better now. I was outside on the same location, so I used same ISO which was 100.

f/4 1/30

f/4 1/160

f/4 1/100
f/4 1/60

f/4 1/50

I set the aperture to the biggest I can because I was photoing a surface, I didn't want any depth of field. The shutter speed I was starting with  was too high, then I changed it too low which made the image too dark. I gradually adjusted the shutter speed until where I felt right. In this case, I think f/4, 1/60 works the best. 

I also found that because you think more about the aperture and shutter speed, when it comes to editing on computer, there  are not very much need to be changed, especially exposure. I adjusted the colour a little bit and add a filter on Photoshop.

adjusted colour, contrast and saturation on iPhoto

used Fresco on Photoshop

added Tilt Blur

Then I took more photos on different part of the surface.

f/5 1/15

adjusted exposure and colour

f/5 1/15

adjusted exposure and colour


 
 f/4.5 1/60                                              f/4 1/40



adjusted colour

f/4 1/13


f/4 1/20 I changed my viewpoint slight

antique

sepia




f/4.5 1/40

antique

sepia



Then I thought I should change the aperture to see what would happen. This was two surface in a angle, so there was a depth of field. I changed the aperture from big to small to big again try to get rid of the depth of field but it did not work. A few examples:
f/5.6 1/20

f/5.6  1/15

f/19 1/25

f/14 1/5
f/5.6 1/60

I chose the f/5.6 1/15, and cropped the blur parts out.



I noticed that when I use manual, I got both JPEG and RAW image and they are in different colour. I read something about the RAW image, but have not look it into detail yet. These images here I did not change anything
JPEG
RAW

JEPG

RAW

RAW

JEPG

A few more



Ok, where did I get these photos? When I was doing research, I saw two photographer's work who using metals as subject. And I always remember Anna King's painting and her talk. She said something about the rustling metal. From one of my shop window, I see this metal roof every time I walk on that stairs. When I got my camera from the car today,  I went to that rubbish skip to look for some metals i can bring to studio to use as a background. I did not find any but I saw the skip. David Cass talked about surface yesterday. So I thought I would take some photos of the surface on the skip. When reviewed the photos, they look interesting. So I took a lot more and at the same time, practised shutter speed and aperture. 

I did not do a lot of editing with these photos, especially with cropping. I only cropped a few. I did pay attention about the composition in the view finder. I am happy with today's experiments. 




















No comments:

Post a Comment