Friday 9 October 2015

David Cass

Yesterday, David Cass came to college gave us a talk about his art. I was surprised that he is so young and it is only 5 years time since he graduated from Edinburgh College of Art, he made his art established so well.

He uses found objects mainly antique woods and papers to make his art. I like his work. He uses simply forms and gives each of his work a deep and interesting name. I do think antique adds cost to the work and as well as adding values to them.
So many endings

I really like this one, I like the idea, the painting and the name. It feels so quiet and it speaks itself.

A few more paintings 


His match boxes. They are from £90 to £280. Very expensive match box!

From his talk, I can see he is a very hard working person, has strong mind and determination. I like his travelling ideas. You will always get something from travelling. I went on his website, looked through his work, his post card project, his films and photographs. I think his films and photographs are not as strong as his paintings. But as he said, it is always good to try new things and new possibilities. Always keep your mind open. One idea on his blog I thought was very interesting. He found different identities, letters etc from flea markets around the Europe. He wants to create a book, a place to present the artefacts of past lives. I like this idea. I think he thinks a lot and this is very important to an artist. He said behind each work, there is a story and I like that fact. There must be something you want to say when you make the work. 
Letter 1822

Identity card 1958
These really make me feel touched. You don's know the person, you don't even need to read what it said. Just the date itself would tell you here is somebody who was existed in some period in this world. They are somebody's daughter, somebody's son, maybe somebody's mother or father, wife or husband. And there was a life time story behind each piece of evidence. Really hope he can carry on with this project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment