Wednesday 27 November 2013

Kate Downie

Siobhan told me about Kate Downie and said that she stayed in China for 3 years.  It is interesting to me because there is something related to China. So I went on her website and looked at her work. It is shame that by the time when Siobhan talked about her, her exhibition in Edinburgh had just finished. Otherwise I can see China from her eyes,  from an artist's eye, also from a foreigner's eye. Anyway, I tried to copy two of her work. And I feel it was so hard.
Nanbei by Kate Downie


I think this one is about China's cities and environment. I chose this one to copy because others all look so complicated.  This one has simpler lines. But it was so hard to get the right color. I used water color only, I think Kate Downie used ink as well. I did this one a few weeks ago, when I looked at it today, I found I missed a lot of detailed fine lines. There are buildings and mountains. My building just does not look like building. It feels cold in Downie's painting, my one feels rather warm. I could not get the right color for the sky and the river. But anyway this was the first time I use water color, I am not pleased, but at least, I managed to do the whole painting. And I can see mountains, river and the little boat. 

It is very interesting that she paint half of the painting a city and another half is mountains and river. Using the same color and tone. I am concerned about China's environment too.

After copying this, when I looked at Downie's work again. I can feel how good her work is.

The Asphalt Sea




I did this one today. And again, it was so hard. It looks so simple, but when you actually paint it, it was so difficult. First it took me ages to mix the color and I still did not get the similar color. But by copying this I think understand a little now about abstract. Because you need to copy it , you need to study it  a lot more carefully than just looking at it. I see waves, I see swirls, I see where the flow goes although I could  not make them on my work. From the title I know this is sea, but first time when I saw this work. I thought why this is sea! Now I think I understand it a bit more and I can feel it is a beautiful work. 

But I don''t understand what the black lines for. I used pastel, but my lines comes thick and a bit mess too. although I don's understand the lines, I can feel they make the whole picture a lot better and more interesting, even for my work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment