Monday 18 November 2013

Drawings

I  did a few drawings recently. overall, I quite like them. But I know there are problems.

My hand

I did this on a piece of film first. Just follow the lines you see and enlarge it on the machine. I find it a lot easier than drawing on a piece of large paper. Because I always cannot make the proportion right . By this way, you can almost make the proportion right. I never learned how to do shading and tones. I did it by feeling. The finish is quite light compare with other peoples. But I quite like it. And I can see that is my hand. I need more practice about shading and tones. 



Sharlene

I drew Sharlene by using the same method as drawing my hand. This is more difficult than drawing the hand. When I copying, the film kept moving, although I closed one eye, I still can not make every line exactly at its right position. And this added the difficulties after I enlarge it. I managed to put all lines together and make the whole picture. But I could not make the face look like Sharlene. First, it was too old, I think it was 20 years older than Sharlene. I found some videos which shows you how to draw a baby face, teenager face and middle age people's face. It helps a little. I managed to change the face looks younger. But it is still not look like Sharlene. I find it is rather difficult to draw somebody's face. Never mention the expression in eyes. I could not even make the age right. I guess this needs a lot of practice.


Copying David Hockney's work



I actually quite like this one I copied. Drawing still life is a little bit easier than drawing figures I feel. The bottle was the most difficult bit to draw. I can see I still did not make two side the same. It is even worse when you take a photo. By copying it I see a lot details which I may not see when I just look at it. For example, the bottle changed shape a little bit when seeing through the glass. This is also the change for me since I am doing this course. I found I can see more detailed things when I look at things, even just a sense. In everyday life, I see more shapes and colors than before. I like this change. 



I want to draw a female figure, but most of David Hockney's figures drawing are male. I found this one which I did not think I like. In my opinion, a beautiful lady is thin, well shaped. this one is a bit fat. But after trying to copy her. I found she is beautiful. I think my one is younger, I tried but could not make her any older. The lady in David Hockney's drawing, has a kind of feeling which I don't know how to describe, which makes her beautiful. But in my drawing, I can't find this kind of feeling. Not exactly her expression, maybe it is her mood or even her life. I can't quite tell yet.

Overall, I am quite happy with my progress. It is such a nice thing that you can draw!



 

1 comment: