Monday 21 September 2015

Sam Cornwell

Sam Cornwell came to college to talk about photography today. I was quite excited about his coming. Really wanted to know how a professional photographer works. With no surprise the photographs he showed us are amazing. I was really touched by his work. I was so amazed by what dark room can bring out. There are so many beautiful photographs on his website. I chose these three here I specially like. They are not with the golden section rule. But they are so perfectly together.





I was so amazed that the dark room can produce abstract images. Sam said at a certain stage, he stopped capturing the world and started to create things, to find his voice. I like the way he put lots of frames together to get one image. There was a kind of beauty of  uncertainty in this process.
I guess this one was done by this method.


The wet plate collodion is very interesting too. Sam showed us his camera. i was surprised that the camera is so simple. I really like the effect that the plate can create.



His astronomy work again are just amazing. Nowadays, there are so many nice photos appear to you on all kinds of devices, It takes you seconds to see them,  but they are taken far more than seconds to take. Very hard work!



The beautiful images are what I understand about photography. like Sam said: perfect lines, perfect cleanness, perfect compositions, perfect colors, perfect viewpoints. But he stopped taking this kind of photos and started to takes photos of everything and his family when his son was born. I watched the video of A Second A Day form Birth. it has over 2.5 million viewers on Youtube. It is such a brilliant idea. But it must take a lot of effort.

I do not know what bring him to Hawick to set up his studio. I asked among his work, which are his favorite and most important to him. He said it is the work about his family. I can understand what he mean. But it makes me confessed that what photography is really about. I guess it is depends on everybody's own circumstances.

I am looking forward to the Location Photography unit. Looking forward to see where I can get to from this unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment