Wednesday 20 May 2015

The Story of Modern Art

Borrowed  this book for don't know how long, finally read it all!  used dictionary a lot! I could not understand everything but I think I have a better understanding about modern art now. I have a better awareness about what had been happening in the morden art world. In the book I had seen a lot of different kinds of art work which made my mind opened more. It shows how artists influenced by each other and how the big invironment influence artists' work. Lots of great art works had been criticised before they became widely accepted and recognised. Artists had been questioning, trying, and looking for new ways to express themselves and this will never be stopped.

There are still a lot work in the book I could not understand. I am still asking "why "and want to know the meaning and the answer. But I guess this will make me keep going and eventually I may get an answer or there is no answer! In the book, it said " some art speak, some art shout, but the best art needs to be questioned a little and listened to a lot." At this stage of my study, I still think a piece of work should have its meanings, it should transfer some information to the viewer if it comes from the artists' heart even though I understand not all art have to be serious. But even if it tells a joke, it still tells something. So how can you say it means nothing ?

Last week we watched a short video about Sara Lucas. When I saw the name on screen I remembered I had seen a picture of one of her work when I did my research on Surrealism. It was an old mattress, bucket and light bulbs etc and it is about sex. I don't think I like it. All the work we saw on the video again very sexual. I don't have a problem with the motif. And I like to see people can think so differently. I like the half body form and showing the sculpture from its back. I guess Sara Luca is very famous in comtemprary art. She must have stronger voice than ordinary people. What is she want to tell from every piece of work in this exhibition? I just think, with such a high recognised social statue you can do more than talking about sex! It is what I think at this point of time anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment