Wednesday 20 May 2015

Anna King's talk

Today, Anna King came to college and gave us a really nice talk. Siobhan showed me her work last year. At that time I was nor sure about all her empty buildings. When I was doing my visual communication unit this year, I went back to look her work again and I found a lot of interesting things. I enclosed her work as my artists research and I said I like the way she paints, I like the loose bushes and the sketch lines. Today seen a lot of more work which are not on her website. She talked through her work and told us her thought behind the work. I think that is very helpful. After she explained about her work I think I understand them more and can see more from her work.

She emphasised how important discipline is. And I have heard this from other artists' story as well. I think it is a very important but difficult thing to follow. You have to be really strong inside and believe with no doubt about what you are doing.  I think I like her. She looks very soft but I think she is very strong inside! Everybody must have the time of struggling. Somebody give up and somebody continue. Difference and reward will show at some point of your life.

She said she was lucky with her career. But oppertunity only given to people who prepared.

She has an artist's eye. She sees things which we would normally look. She brings the things people ignored right in front of you and shows you the beauty in them. I guess that is maybe one of the reasons she successes.

I was going to ask if she only paint what she see or if she make up things. She said she added on and took off things. So there is a question appeared. We see the beauty about these empty and rustiness in her work,and the colour she used make statement too.  But they might not be like that in the real place. I know she is not copying things and I understand she is transferring a kind of feeling she has about these places.

 With this question,  I looked at her website again just now and found two short videos on bbc website. The video showed very clearly that how a sense transformed to a painting. So now I think she wants to say there are beauty in these empty buildings. Faded colours, rustiness, broken things, are all telling a story. When you are there on your own, you are cut off from the busy world. And she got so much inspiration from them. When you see the real places and then see her paintings, you realised a lot more how her paintings are.

From her talk I think her intention is pure. It is about art , not about commercial. I like her and I like her work.


No comments:

Post a Comment