Tuesday 4 November 2014

Vollard suite

 Vollard Suite are 100 etchings produced by Picasso between 1930 and 1937. I did not know these work before. When I looked through them, the work are just astonishing. It felt  like that a lot of them were based on some kind of story. Without knowing the background story, it was quite difficult to understand to tell what these are about. But just too the work itself, I really like them. 

  
Young sculptor at work Etching, 23 March 1933

This is the first image I saw when I Google it. The title tells us what is happening. I can hardly believe this is etching. The lines are so simple apart from the flower vines. From practice I know anything looks simple, it won't be easy to produce. This requires very high drawing skills and very deep understanding of human body. It is just incredible that a few lines can form a human body. And if you look at the man's face, full of emotion. How can a few lines make his eyes looking so deep? The sculpture, eye closed, beautiful but motionless, again, very simple lines. She must make the young man thinking about the women he loves or he is actually making a sculpture of her, He is in pain, missing her. Again, simple lines, but you can feel the weight of his left hand holding the knife as if he is curving all his love and pain into this sculpture. The vine connects the two figures together. It is beautifully shaped, adds romantic feeling to the image and implies a beautiful future.  I like this work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment