Monday 27 October 2014

Thomas Bewick

Thomas Bewick (1753-1828), English engraver. He is best known for his A History of British Bird which contains a lot of wood engravings. A lot of his works used for illustrations for books.

Back to two and half centuries ago, I think engraving is very efficient way to produce multiple works, especially for commercial purposes. It requires high drawing skills. In Bewick's case, he used wood rather than metal. A lot of his work are about animals. Some of them showed very detailed aspect. Before camera invented, this was a good way to keep record of life .






To be honest, his work doesn't inspired me very much although they are really good work and has high skills involved which I couldn't possibly do it myself. Probably I think it is the subject matter which I am not  quite 
interested in. 





No comments:

Post a Comment