Thursday 3 April 2014

Bill Brandt



When I first was told to look at some photographers. I was no idea what to choose. Had been practiced taking photos myself as well as looking at lots of photographs done by professionals, I think I am not that lost now.

Opened Moodle, Bill Brandt's work jumped out to my eyes. 

Bill Brandt (1904-1983) is a German-British photographer, photojournalist. He is well known for his high-contrast images of British society, his distorted nudes and landscapes. He is widely considered to be one of the most important photographer of the 20th century.


Image of SP11-Rainswept roofs, 1937
 Rainswept roofs 1937

Historians use their pen to tell people about history. Photojournalists use their cameras. For the photograph itself, I think it has a very interesting viewpoint, it is from a 45 degree angles, rather than shot from vertical or horizon view point. Vertical may make the houses forms a strait line, may only can see the roofs. Horizon would get too much view of the houses, which may make less focus on the roofs. 45 degree is perfect, the roofs look like Nomino, very interesting. After rain, light and shadow created a perfect contraction. 

I think this is a landscape photograph, but also a documentary. I always feel this kinds of documentary photographs are very valuable. They are showing you straightly in front of your eyes what the history is like. You may hear bombing behind the silence, you may see war behind this peace, how many stories under each roof?

  
Image of SP14-Bus on Battersea Bridge, 1940s
Bus on Battersea Bridge 1940

I feel so peaceful and calm when I see this photograph. I could not imagine there was a war happening. The sky, bridge, river and land forms such a nice shape and contrast. The smooth river and the rough land created another form of contrast. The big faraway faded building and the small but clear lamp post is another contrast. I really like this work. The more I see it, the more I like it.

Image of Nude London, 1952 PP02 
 Nude London 1952

This is my favorite one of his nudes photographs. Pure black and white with a little bit of shadow, 
simple but beautiful shapes. I think this was shot from a lower view, maybe just under her elbow? But I don't understand how Bill Brandt make her neck and the other half of her head invisible. Lights?  

It is so beautiful. The copy of this is on sale for £5875.00! just the copy, wonder how much the original will worth! Sometimes it is hard not to use a money figure to charge a piece of art, especially photographs. I remember from Grayson Perry's talk, he said he asked one of his artist friend what kind of photograph is art and the answer is worth more than 5 figures!!!

Some more photographs from Bill Brandt


Image of SP17-Snicket in Halifax, 1937

 Image of Nude Abstract, 1958 PP06

No comments:

Post a Comment