Thursday 13 March 2014

Horst P. Horst

Horst was a German -American fashion photographer. Born in 1906. He was in paris when he was young, befriend with many people in art community and attended many galleries. In 1930 he met a Vogue photographer and became his assistant. In 1937, he met Coco Chanel and since then he photographed for her fashion for three decades.

Horst is best known for his photographs of woman and fashion, also recognized for his photographs of interior architecture and still life.



 The mainbocher corset

This is one of the greatst iconic photographs of the 20th century and one of the Horst's best photographs. When I first saw this photograph, I instantly liked it without knowing whose work it is. Someone said Horst treats her body like a living sculpture. Before I only know female body is the main subject matter of a lot of art works, maybe since ancient Greek time. Now when I look into it a bit more, I kind of know why. It does not need to be sexy. It can be just a kind of pure beauty. the carves, the softness, the motion, everything is in there. Back to this photograph, it is perfect in every way, the position, the light, the contrast, the shadow, the simplicity, the purity, the silence. It is beautiful.

 

This one is the similar one, female body, ballet feeling pose, simple background, good contrast, you can not really see her face, but you can feel her beauty. 



 I chose this one because I know if I was the photographer, I probably would not position her where she is now. I am always not sure about large space left.  But when looking at this photograph, there is actually shadows on the wall and even on the black wooden floor. I probably would not take the shadows and the light into account when I am taking photos. So there is something need to think when taking photos again. The soft long dress, silky feeling, against the hard cold wall, very beautiful.

 
 Barefoot Beauty, 1941

I heard a man said before he just could not look at people's bare foot. I wonder if he can look at this one. They are so beautiful, especially put them beside the sculpture feet. it does not only just produce the contrast. The woman's feet are darker but softer and alive. You do not really need to see the body, you can already feel its beauty, feel the light weight, image her pure face. When i am writing it to here, i suddenly feel that the beautiful thing of this photograph is it leaves you an unlimited imagination space. The beautiful world is there behind this black and white!


A few more:

1 comment:

  1. makes for good reading, especially where you reassess image with the shadows and their role in the composition

    ReplyDelete