Tuesday 30 September 2014

Tom Davison

Tom Davidson is a local artist based in Earlston. He uses lino cuts as his preferred media. I was quite excited knowing an artist stays so close by. Had a look through his work on his website, first reaction was I could not believe they were done by lino cuts. There are so many colors and they are so detailed. All the images can not be copied from his website, so can not show any image here. I really like the Bridge one. I think they are the two bridges in Edinburgh. This one probably is the simplest one in color. I looked at it for quite a while, still could not figure out how he did it. 

On his website, it says that all his lino-cuts are produced from one single linoleum, using a reduction process, printing each color on top of the previous color, working from light to dark. It sounds very clear, but I am sure the whole process is very complicated. I tried to imagine step by step, but I could not even find out where is the first step! 

Maybe because I did not see the real prints, from only a small image on computer, we could not really tell much the difference of his prints from paintings. I am sure there must be something that painting would not do, otherwise, why not just paint rather than using such a complicated method. 

Looking forward to see the real prints!

No comments:

Post a Comment