Thursday 13 February 2014

Phil Borges




This term, we started photography. That is something I always want to learn, but always feel so hard. Guess i was wrong before. Because I always think I cannot work my camera, I don't know all the techniques and skills. But actually the truth is you need to have the eye. This is more than anything else. But this is also make me feel nervous. Techniques and skills are just there, you can learn, even if it may take a long time. But the "eye", is uncertain. There maybe not right or wrong, it all depends on your personal judgement and your artistic accomplishment. let's wait and see how it will go.

Phil Borges(born 1942) is a social documentary photographer and filmmaker. For over twenty-five years he has been documenting indigenous and tribal cultures, striving to create an understanding of the challenges they face. His work is exhibited in museums and galleries worldwide.

Yama 8
This little girl not only caught my eyes, she caught  my heart. From the photo itself, I think by using the far away mountain and the high sky as background, makes the little girl really stand out. The whole figure is very natural. Her cloth, her hair, don't need to be tidied up, her face, her hands don't need to be cleaned. This is her, a 8-year-old little Tibetan girl, under the sky, firm and strong. I was so sad, maybe because I am a mother myself. She is so far beyond her age. Childhood, does not equal to happiness, no worries and toys to every child. A good photograph can make such a strong statement. It does not need a word, but it shows you a different world!


Pemba 4

Again, such a beautiful a little girl! Can you see she is only 4?  Maybe her little body, but definitely not her eyes. This one, Phil Borges did not use so much sky as background, which make the whole photo a bit softer than the one above. But she is only 4, the expression on her face is the same that so much beyond her her age. The photo makes me feel I want to go there, I want to hug her, I want to help. Such a good photo!

Jigme 8, Sonam 18 months

I almost cried when I put this photo here. My son is just past his 9th birthday. What can I say? I need to take him there and I will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment